What I remember...

Friday, March 6, 2009

My fun project

...that is not related to scrapbooking but I guess it could (embellish as you'd like, use a digi alpha, etc...).

I saw this image several months ago and it kept popping back into my mind, so I just decided to go ahead and try to make my own!

I used a map of the Rennes, France area that I've been holding on to for 12 years--it's about time I made some use of it!

I trimmed the map to fit the frame I'd chosen and then glued the map down onto the cardboard that came with the frame.

Next I purchased some vinyl letters. You could use one of those cool cricut machines, or take advantage of your friends vinyl lettering business, or maybe even go to the craft store and find some there, but no...I have to be difficult. I found the letters at Wal-mart near the For Sale signs--they were cheap and exactly what I was looking for...
However, I thought the black letters would just peel off the white background, yet in fact they were one in the same, so I had to cut out each letter individually. Sigh...not as easy of a project as I'd expected, but it didn't take too much time.I layed out my letters on the map, next, which was really easy because the map already had a grid on it!!! Then I simply peeled the back off and carefully placed the letters onto the map.
And here is my finished, super simple project. It's going to hang up in our basement and hopefully make an impression on my children! Hopefully...

2 comments:

family said...

That looks really good - I like it

Heather said...

This is to die for.